Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Yellow Brick Road travels on............


I told you all about my journey over the last three years in my last blog dated August 27, when I was looking towards the third anniversary of being Number One Blues Artist for New Zealand on Reverbnation.   Well, the date has now passed this week with Reverbnation and several radio stations doing me the honor of featuring me because of this little achievement.   I thank them all for the support.

Musicians ask me how I've managed to achieve this little milestone: there isn't an easy answer.  I was fortunate to go straight in at number one with my first release 3 years ago and it's probably thanks to the steady stream of singles that I've issued since then being played a lot that I'm still there at the top.  The 'system' that Reverbnation use for chart position is a little complex and I for one stopped thinking about it a long time ago.  I simply put my music out there and hope that my supporters will like it and play it and maybe even buy it!



I have no 'street teamers' that I organise - although I have very faithful friends who back me up often without my knowing it by playing my music and telling others about me.  This is invaluable and I'm grateful for all that support.  Apart from anything else, it is the best feeling in the world to know that people like the music that comes from your heart and soul.

The other great asset is radio airplay and I am so very fortunate in having huge backing from many, many radio hosts who I regard as friends; people in broadcasting in many countries in the world, playing music of many genres who choose to include me.  There are just too many to mention and I'm bound to forget someone if I even try but thank you to all of you from the USA to the UK to Turkey to Ireland to Argentina, Peru, Colombia, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Russia, Greece, South Africa, France, Bulgaria, Canada, the lists goes on and on.  How universal music truly is!

Tommie Brewster from the backwoods of New Zealand, very much doing things my own way, now warrants almost 12,000,000 mentions on Google !!!




Getting to this point was marked also by actually getting my self produced first album 'In The Making' on the shelves at CD Baby where it received what I think are called 'rave' reviews.  Certainly I'm very grateful to the people in radio who took the time to go there and write such kind words about the album and I'm pleased to say that it's doing very well indeed there!

I also released an album of my spoken word tracks, largely because I had been asked so many, many times and this also is on CD Baby under the title 'Only Words'.  I have another spoken word album ready to go in the next month or so.



And.........my next 'blues' album will also be out shortly.  I have so many unreleased tracks that even making the decision as to which ones go on there is very difficult, but at last it's done.  As the first album is doing so well, I delayed issuing this second one and of course with 'that' time of year, i.e. Christmas, now looming on the horizon, I have also to concentrate on my seasonal songs which will be released after Thanksgiving.

I write music every day of my life in some form; it simply never stops and I can easily have three or more songs in my head, on notepads, on little bits of paper, or half finished all at the same time, so this is a life's work.  Except it's not work, it's life.  I love every single minute, even when it's exhausting and demanding.

Apart from that, my 'rock opera' ( for want of a better term, as it's actually based on a vintage film) is getting closer to reality.  I completed it some time ago, but such a project needs serious financial backing and that is what is in the pipeline now.  Very exciting to see another dream drawing closer.



And finally, my radio interview shows Tommie Talks Music goes from strength to strength, and has a life all its own!!  I have a list of guests which stretches into 2012 and each one of them an exciting prospect, spending time finding out about what drives people onwards.  What started as an idea now produces Google 'mentions' of almost 32,000,000 which is truly utterly amazing.  And all I do is talk to people!!

So...........thank you everyone who suppports me, takes an interest in my words and music and maybe realises that I work very, very hard to make whatever I do as good as I can make it.  And if you purchased my CDs an even bigger thank you!


Find my music page on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment